Greetings May River HS Band Family,
As we for now breathe in a collective sigh, our thoughts are with those who are not as fortunate. Please keep our neighbors to our north in your thoughts and prayers.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility throughout this ordeal. As you may have heard, the Beaufort County School District has determined that school will be back in session and according to regular schedule on Monday. We were waiting on this word to determine the status of our rehearsal on Saturday. We have also been monitoring the weather closely.
Taking into consideration the decision of the school district to reopen Monday, along with the current weather forecast, we have decided to go ahead with our drill learning rehearsal on Saturday. However, we will only rehearse until 11am, rather than noon as previously scheduled. Therefore, we will rehearse from 8am until 11am.
I have struggled mightily over this decision over the past few days. Please understand that I do not and have not taken this situation lightly. In the event forecasts change, or if I receive an outpouring of messages indicating an inability to participate, we may have to cancel it. At the end of the day, I will feel good about the decision because I feel have done everything in my power to create an opportunity for the Silver Sound to succeed, with the end of the season in mind, given the challenge of this very difficult situation.
Here are the considerations:
- This rehearsal has been approved by Mr. Bornscheuer.
- This rehearsal is voluntary. If you are unable or uncomfortable in attending this rehearsal, your absence will be excused. We just ask that you email Mr. Carbone at email@example.com.
- We will NOT be using the school building. No instruments or flags necessary, only devices. Please, bring your devices!
- Since the percussion does not march, and their equipment is sequestered inside the building, they are not required to attend. Per their request, they will hold a sectional sometime in the future (possibly next Saturday during Mattress Sale?), when we have access to the building.
- We appeal to everyone that is able and willing to attend to please attend. We have lost over 10 hours of rehearsal this week, and the band was a few days behind in our preparations before school was cancelled. If we can have a majority turn out tomorrow, it would help set the Silver Sound up for success moving forward.
- If you have been looking at the forecast, the weather is supposed to deteriorate in regards to precipitation on Saturday night, and worsen Sunday into Monday and Tuesday. Tomorrow morning may indeed be the band’s only opportunity to learn drill this week if the field conditions were to worsen over that period of time. Eek!
- In the event we did not rehearsal Saturday and were not able to learn Act II this week, we would effectively be 3 weeks behind in our preparations for Lower State, and would greatly increase the probability that would not participate due to lack of preparation.
- We have the drill to Act II completely in our possession. If we have a good turnout, we can learn most, if not all of it on Saturday. See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkcBCIjj540&feature=youtu.be&hd=1
So, that is the latest. We are moving forward with the plan, however we are dismissing at 11am instead of noon.
I will continue to monitor the situation closely and continue to confer with my advisors.
In the event anything changes, it will be posted here, as well as on Remind. Text @mayriverhs to 81010 to receive updated text messages.
Thank you again for your understanding and support.
Director of Bands
May River High School